World Refugee Day 2019 is going to be celebrated on June 20, Here, we have the quotes, sayings, images, themes, history and its significance. Every year, the international observance is made on the same date. It is dedicated to raising awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world.
World Refugee Day History
As said, it is observed to make people aware of the conditions of Refugee throughout the world. The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) officially declared June 20th as the day for observing it annually. It was proclaimed in the Resolution 55/76 on December 4, 2000. From 2001 onwards, it became an annual event.
World Refugee Day celebrations in 2001 were the 50th anniversary of 1951 Convention Refugees status by the General Assembly of the United Nations (UN). Many countries picked it up right from 2000. While in many nations, it is observed on different dates.
Significance: Why World Refugee Day Is Celebrated?
Share: Father’s Day Quotes.
It is observed to support millions of families around the world who have lost their families and homes due to violence or war. WRD was set up by the United Nations to honor the refugees for their courage of facing a number of problems and their contributions to the community.
The W Refugee Day celebrations is an opportunity to all via which everyone can help the refugees worldwide. People can contribute to rebuilding their quality lives as per their capabilities and related activities.
Several government and non-government organizations provide support to them through lifesaving assistance, safety, and protection. Tents, shelter, living materials supplies, and life-saving services are provided to them. The main goal is to make the common public awareness by sharing the related refugee stories.
The observance reminds the failure of an international community or home conflicts which forced lots of families to leave their home to save their lives. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has taken big steps from time to time to support all the refugees’ basic needs. However, it needs government support as well as the public.
It reminds that all such horrific violence should be eliminated as it degrades human existence and leads to people’s displacement and refugee. Out of the total worldwide refugees, 55% are only from Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, Syria, and Sudan.
Refugees should be taken as the asset and strength and not as the burden.
Celebrations: How World Refugee Day is Celebrated?
A number of related activities among the society are organized to spread awareness and highlight the issues which lead to such cases. Some of the activities are as follows.
- Participants involved in the event celebration protests against holding the migrants and asylum seekers to the prison.
- Refugee’s real stories are screened as a movie to show their lifestyles.
- Association members of the organization provide moral support to the refugees by meeting them in the imprisonment.
- Requesting government organizations for the better management of the asylum seekers.
- Awareness activities are carried out by the celebrities, humanitarian aid workers, civilians and other famous group of people for more effect.
- People living in the community are encouraged to participate in the event celebration through the social media.
- Refugee camps are organized to solve their problems by distributing them shelters, necessary goods, tents, plastic sheets, blankets and etc.
- They are also availed with free clinics, schools, water resources and etc for supporting them psychosocially and physically.
- Discussions and debates activities are organized in the schools and colleges.
World Refugee Day 2019 Theme
Every year, a particular theme is set to organize activities and observe the occasion to effectively run the campaign.
- 2017 – “Waterloo Region Celebrates Refugees”
- In 2016 – “We stand together with refugees”
- The theme of 2015 was “With courage let us all combine”.
- The theme of 2014 was “Migrants and Refugees: Towards a Better World”.
- The theme of 2013 was “Take 1 minute to support a family forced to flee”.
- The theme of 2012 was “1 family torn apart by war is too many”.
- The theme of 2011 was “1 refugee without hope is too many.”
- The theme of 2010 was “1 refugee forced to flee is too many”.
- The theme of 2009 was “Home”.
- The theme of 2008 was “Protection”.
- The theme of 2007 was “Perseverance.”
- The theme of 2006 was “Hope”.
- The theme of 2005 was “Courage”.
- The theme of 2004 was “Courage”.
- The theme of 2003 was “Refugee Youth: Building the Future”.
- The theme of 2002 was “Tolerance”.
- The theme of 2001 was “Respect”.
World Refugee Day Quotes: Refugee Quotations & Sayings
Here are some Refugee quotes which can be shared on social media with all.
- “I urge you to celebrate the extraordinary courage and contributions of refugees past and present.” – Kofi Annan, UN Secretary-General
- “Displaced societies are of value. Their issues are our issues.” – Cynthia Basinet
- “No one leaves home unless the home is the mouth of a shark.” ― Warsan Shire, Author of “Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth”
- “They are safe but they are not in their homes. They are city-less. I think it’s just a disaster for everyone.” – Teri Hatcher
- “In countries where people have to flee their homes because of persecution and violence, political solutions must be found, peace and tolerance restored so that refugees can return home. In my experience, going home is the deepest wish of most refugees.” – Angelina Jolie
- “Refugees have done more for my heart and my spirit than I can ever express in words.” – Angelina Jolie
- “World Refugee Day is an important opportunity to remind us about the ongoing plight of millions of refugees around the world.” – Robert Alan Silverstein
- “To be called a refugee is the opposite of an insult; it is a badge of strength, courage, and victory.”
— Tennessee Office for Refugees
- “Refugees are not terrorists. They are often the first victims of terrorism.”
— António Manuel de Oliveira Guterres
- “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”
— Emma Lazarus
- “No one leaves home unless home is the mouth of a shark.”
— Warsan Shire
- “It is the obligation of every person born in a safer room to open the door when someone in danger knocks.”
— Dina Nayeri
Stay tuned to TheReporterTimes for latest worldwide event news.