Sherlock Season 5 will release soon. The Final Problem had been solved by Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson and we want to see more action from baker street boys. So now, there are plenty of talks that indicate that the great detective may come back to life. In the last installment, there was an episode named The Final Problem, but was it really the last of the series?
So far, there have been several conflicting reports as to whether or not Sherlock is over for good. There have been speculations that the great detective could perhaps resurrect one more time as he did in the past. Here, we are with the complete report, from expected release date to cast to everything, that we have gathered from several sources.
Will Sherlock Season 5 Happen?
In mid-2016, the series co-writer Steven Moffat said that ‘Sherlock is not going to disappear entirely.” He also said that they are overwhelmed with the kind of response they are receiving for the ‘Sherlock’ and hope to continue it as long as they can. For fans who were asking regarding the future of Sherlock, Moffat (in January 2017) said that the chapter one has ended.
“Dr. Watson is now Doyle’s brave widower and Sherlock Holmes has become the wise and humane version of the main run of the stories (we’ve focused, so far, on the cold Holmes of the early days.)”
The Chapter Two of the Sherlock tv series will still include consciously fighting against myths and wrong-doers with our two favorite stars – Watson and Holmes. Maddox said that he is sort of hoping to come back.
Check: Watch Game of Thrones Online.
He also stated that after the last series, he had been busy with Doctor Who and Mark, also, has been doing other stuff. So, they had sat together properly for planning on what to do next big thing in the Sherlock season 5.
By June 2017, Moffat was still assuming that Sherlock would return sometime in the future and they would be back together.
Meanwhile, Benedict Cumberbatch has also expressed his willingness to play Sherlock in old age, if possible. But, Moffat seems busy to continue as of now. He said that it won’t be happening again with the same regularity that as it had been.
Mark Gattis said- “Sherlock without Cumberbatch (or Martin Freeman) is NOT an option: “We couldn’t do it without him, of course not, We couldn’t recast Sherlock”
Sherlock Season 5 Release Date: When Will It Premiere?
As fans know that the schedule of Sherlock always has been irregular. There was a gap of 18-months between the first two series, then it was about 2 years between second and third seasons, then a one-off special came after two years, and finally, a 12-month break for one more series of 3 films.
So, the next big question is that how long will it take for the Sherlock season 5? When we asked Andrew Scott about One show in June 2017, he replied:
“I don’t think there’s another series of Sherlock coming soon. We’re not doing it for another couple of years. Everybody got quite busy, you know? [And] you want to keep it fresh.”
Gatiss said that the wait will be more than two years. So, the fans will need to wait 2 years, at the least.
Related: X-Men: The Dark Phoenix.
Sherlock Season 5 Cast & Characters
The ratings for season 4 has been extremely good, so asking for the next installment is obvious. The makers said that they will have to see first if three films are available, and then it comes to Benedict and Martin if they have the time, schedule, and inclination.
As of August 2017, Benedict is busy with a multi-movie deal with Marvel and he is also an Oscar nominee, so he is not short of other offers as well. Martin Freeman is also with his Captain America: Civil War’s character Everett k Ross. He is going to appear in Black Panther slated for 2018 release.
Gattis said that honestly, he honestly doesn’t know when will be the Sherlock season 5 releasing. It’s because it will be very difficult to align the diaries of Cumberbatch and Freeman and Moffat and his.
For now, they have left it to the Fawlty Towers principle of, ‘Let’s just leave it.’
Gettis told one reporter that it will be the end of his toughest year as he did three Sherlocks and 14 Doctor Whos.
Freeman has also got several films offers. He made it big with his role of Captain America: Civil War character Everett K Ross. He again appeared in Black Panther (2018). Also, he has attached to a second TV series – StartUp which airs on streaming service Crackle.
Check: Zootopia 2.
Sherlock Season 5 Episodes: Stories to Come
But still, Moffat and Gattis have a lot in mind when it comes to Sherlock which pair is holding to get done in future.
“Mark’s always wanted to do ‘The Red-Headed League[and] there’s ‘The Engineer’s Thumb’, which is a slightly mad story that doesn’t have a proper ending,” Moffat said.
“There’s an element of ‘The Greek Interpreter’ that I think is really exciting, which hasn’t been done because in our version of events Irene Adler is still out there. There’s always that.”
Conan Doyle’s four full-length Holmes novel has been cannibalized – A Study in Scarlet’ as ‘A Study in Pink’, ‘The Sign of the Four’ as ‘The Sign of Three’, ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’ as ‘The Hounds of Baskerville’ and ‘The Valley of Fear’ as ‘The Blind Banker’.
Related: Young Justice Season 3.
But there are lot of short stories that are waiting to get portrayed, in Sherlock season 5, including,
- – ‘The Red-Headed League‘ – Holmes and Watson look into strange happenings involving a group of exclusively red-haired men. Gatiss had originally planned to adapt this story for series four.
- – ‘The Boscombe Valley Mystery‘ – When a man is murdered, his blood-covered son stands accused. But Holmes has his own theory.
- – ‘The Man with the Twisted Lip‘ – Trailing a missing man, Holmes enters one of London’s vilest opium dens.
- – ‘The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle‘ – Sherlock must solve a case where the only clues are a Christmas goose and a hat… potential festive special?
- – ‘ The Adventure of the Engineer’s Thumb‘ – A young man with severe injuries and a chilling tale arrive at Watson’s surgery.
- – ‘The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor‘ – When a missing bride’s clothes appear in a lake, Sherlock is called upon to unravel her disappearance.
- – ‘ The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet‘ – Holmes investigates the theft of stolen jewels from one of the treasures of the Empire. (Too similar to Moriarty pinching the Crown Jewels?)
- – ‘The Adventure of the Copper Beeches‘ – A young governess consults the detective after being made an enticing offer – but what’s the catch?
- – ‘ The Adventure of Silver Blaze‘- Holmes heads to Devon when a racehorse favorite disappears and his trainer is found murdered.
- – ‘The Adventure of the Cardboard Box‘ – A parcel containing two severed ears – a macabre prank or, as Holmes believes, evidence of a serious crime?
- – ‘ The Adventure of the Stockbroker’s Clerk‘ – Our heroes probe the mystery company behind a young man’s offer of a dream job.
- – ‘The Adventure of the Reigate Squire‘ – Burglary and violent death among the Surrey gentry, as Holmes tries to convalesce from over-work.
- – ‘ The Adventure of the Crooked Man‘ – Holmes looks into an officer’s death, with the regimental honor of the Royal Mallows at stake.
- – ‘The Adventure of the Resident Patient‘ – A doctor calls at 221b Baker Street after the mysterious death of his landlord.
- – ‘ The Adventure of the Norwood Builder‘ – Sherlock takes up the case of a young solicitor accused of murder.
- – ‘The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist‘ – Who is stalking music teacher Violet Smith?
- – ‘ The Adventure of Black Peter‘ – The grisly murder of a retired whaling skipper provides a baffling new case.
- – ‘The Adventure of the Three Students‘ – Sherlock casts his eye over the theft of important exam papers. (It’s more exciting than it sounds.)
- – ‘ The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez‘ – The sleuth tackles a motiveless murder, with just a pair of specs and the victim’s dying words to go on.
- – ‘The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter‘ – Sherlock does sports, investigating when a vital player disappears on the eve of an Oxford v Cambridge rugby match.
- – ‘ The Adventure of the Abbey Grange‘ – Inspector Hopkins blames burglars for the murder of one Sir Eustace Brackenstall, but Holmes is not so sure.
- – ‘The Adventure of the Second Stain‘ – The Prime Minister asks Sherlock to recover a letter vital to national security.
- – ‘ The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge‘ – Voodoo rituals and mystery disappearances from a gruesome riddle.
- – ‘The Adventure of the Red Circle‘ – Worried about her strange lodger, a landlady calls on the great detective for help.
- – ‘ The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax‘ – Watson heads to Switzerland for a missing aristocrat, but the trail leads back to a funeral parlor.
- – ‘The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone‘ – Holmes puts his life on the line to trap an audacious jewel thief.
- – ‘ The Problem of Thor Bridge‘ – A beautiful young governess is accused of murder… sounds like a case for the Baker Street boys!
- – ‘The Adventure of the Creeping Man‘ – Holmes applies his skills to the bizarre behavior of a distinguished scientist.
- – ‘ The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire‘ – Sherlock’s powers of deduction and reason are challenged… by creatures of the night?
- – ‘The Adventure of the Three Gables‘ – When a young diplomat dies in Rome, Sherlock turns to the tabloid press for help.
- – ‘ The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier‘ – While Watson is away, his friend takes on the case of a Boer War veteran.
- – ‘The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger‘ – Holmes questions a mysterious tenant who refuses to show her face.
- – ‘ The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place‘ – Sherlock and Dr. Watson make a gruesome discovery in an old crypt.
So there is plenty of action left for us. There is a possibility of the return of Sherlock Holmes’s sister Euler Holmes as Sian Brooke desired to play her.
Sherlock Season 6 and Future?
The series has already been running for over 90 minutes, as of now. So, there is more to it in the future for sure. With 90-minute episodes, we won’t be surprised if the series takes a huge leap to spin-off into a bonafide motion picture.
Whenever, wherever, and whatever happens in Sherlock’s future, but one thing is clear that Moffat and Gattis aren’t going to hand over it to a new creative team. They said that their version is only theirs. People may come up with their own ideas.
Check: Gears of War movie.